I'm going to take some time off from social media. I'm addicted. Really, truly addicted. I think in Instagram captions and Facebook updates. I've realized this for a while, and it would give me a chuckle, but it's no longer funny to me.
Last night, while checking Facebook before going to bed, I learned that one of my favorite fellas from high school has cancer. In his wife's update, she thanked everyone for their offers of food, babysitting, etc, but said the best thing any of us could do is pray and donate blood. I thought, I can surely do that. And my very next thought was not bowing my head on behalf of my buddy and his precious family. I was already mentally writing a post about donating blood for the first time, no one could get me in that chair but Cole! hahahaha....
To quote one of my least favorite people on earth, it was an Ah-ha moment. It was pathetic. Sickening. I have a problem.
I don't think that social media is the problem. I think it can be a fantastic way to stay in touch with people that you otherwise wouldn't. I can keep up with friends I've made at each stop on our coaching road, from various church camps, or my Phi Lamb sisters. I've gotten to "know" Dad's players that are quite a bit older than me, or people that Cameron grew up with, that I would never have gotten a chance to in real life. And not a day goes by where I don't have someone telling me how much they look forward to hearing what crazy things the girls have said lately, or see their precious faces. I love sharing them. But I don't like this part of me.
I've always known I have a tendency to become addicted to things. Coca-Cola, I'm looking at you! There are lots of reasons why I don't drink alcohol, that's chief among them. I have such self discipline in a few areas of my life, none at all in others. Cameron and I have been talking a lot about this lately. About trying to take control of the things that I let control me. I'm (trying) to make a lot of changes to the way I do things: studying the Word, eating, exercising, spending money (both not on some things, and ON other things,) the way I keep books for our business... Adding my phone, and all that is on it, to that list never crossed my mind. How glaringly obvious that it should be at the top.
So, I'm going to take the month of January off. Like, removing those apps from my phone, off. I'm not deleting anything, just avoiding. After that, I'll have to learn where my boundaries are. Hopefully I'll get to the point where I don't even realize I'm without these silly little time suckers.
Wednesday, January 7, 2015
A Sabbatical
at 11:11 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
I deleted Facebook off of my phone and would only check it on my computer and it significantly helped me! The easy access of the phone made it too tempting! I found I was much less obsessed when it wasn't so accessible! Good luck!
Post a Comment