I know, back from where? Several days between post is the norm for me, so it would seem that I didn't go anywhere. But I felt like death for several days, so I definitely feel like I'm back from somewhere! I am FINALLY feeling better! Sure enough, that pesky little chest cold turned into bronchitis, which I knew it would. I've had that so much over the years I can feel it coming on like old people can feel a cold front. I'm still coughing quite a bit (to which D'Laney replies, Momma, quit choking!) and it really wears me out, but I am much better. I'll post about Halloween later today, but right now I want to get back to this baby business!
Thanks for all the comments on the last couple of posts. I had a hard time with the last one because it seems to me right now that nothing makes the last few weeks go by any faster or smoother. And it seems that the rest of you feel the same way!
Today let's talk about getting the house ready for the baby. This is something that as a first time mom you think about constantly and you have everything ready for weeks before the big day. I don't know if everyone is like this, but I know for us, the second time around is a vastly different story. Brynna will be here in six weeks, and we have nothing, NOTHING, ready for her. D'Laney is still sleeping in her crib, and all the clothes are still in bins in the shed. I feel completely prepared for another infant in the house, except for the nursery, clothes, diapers, blankets, etc. Ya know, everything!
You'll get a lot of stuff at showers, and some of it you won't be able to live without, some of it will stay in the box for several months, if you don't regift it! Everyone has different things that they prefer, and most of it is trial and error, but maybe we can cut down on what all you try. And I'm not talking about the obvious basics, crib, changing area, dresser, etc. I'm looking for the little things that might slip your mind.
- set up a pack and play: when D'Laney was born we lived in a tiny house, so walking to her room to change her diaper or lay her down for a nap was about 4 strides. Now that we're in a two story, I'm not about to do that! most pack and plays have an upper basket for the newborns, and they work great as a nap/changing station that's right beside you. (we set it up in our bedroom for the first few weeks instead of buying a bassinet, as well.) This time I plan on leaving one downstairs and having one upstairs in our room for the first few weeks.
- if you don't want to set it up, or don't have the room to, at least set out a basket with all the necessary changing gear next to the couch.
- those little baskets come in handy all over the house. have one next to every spot where you might feed your little one and stock it with burp rags and a couple of small blankets. I will be keeping one next to the couch downstairs, the recliner in the baby's room, my bed, probably one in D'Laney's room, and one in the office next to the computer (if I have time for that kind of thing!)
- I didn't like our wipey warmer, it dried out the wipes. Maybe we just got a lemon.
- if there is a phone jack in your baby's room, but a phone in there. You might not spend a whole lot of time in there, but it never fails that the second you sit down to feed the baby or rock her to sleep, the phone rings and you forgot to bring a portable in there with you. I had one that lit up, and I turned the ringer off, so when the phone rang I could see it, but it didn't wake the baby, and I didn't have to get up to answer the phone.
That's all I can think of at the moment! C'mon, ladies, add to it!!

4 comments:
Yay! I'm a big nerd and love these posts! Can't wait to read more tips! :)
You just about covered the most important things that you should get ready for the new baby. I never used my wipe warmer or my diaper geni. I loved the little dress sleepers for new borns but quickly switched to the others by the time they were a month old.
One thing you can do to get ready for the second baby is to get your first child ready. I had Zoey sleeping in her big girl bed a few months before Maddie came along. We set the crib up and let Zoey help so she could get used to it. I did the same thing for Maddie when Emma Claire was born. Zoey was 20 months when Maddie was born and Maddie was 15 months when Emma was born. They both understood that they couldn't mess with the baby's stuff and really seemed okay with it. I can't think of any thing else right now!
Somebody told me that the wipe warmer is a breeding ground for bacteria, so we didn't use it. The diaper genie was okay for a while until Garrett would forget to take it out...gross! Now I just put dirty diapers in a recycled Target or Wal-Mart sack and then put them in the trash.
Hayden slept in a pack n' play in our room for the first four months. This works great for middle of the night feedings. We would also use it to change him.
If you're going to breastfeed, a good double electric breast pump is a great investment as well as a hands free pumping bra. I couldn't have lived without these things.
A few other things that I love are the munchkin dishwasher caddy (still use it), Medela micro steam bags and Medela quick clean wipes.
This is reminding me that I have absolutely nothing ready for this next baby. I don't even know which room we're putting he/she in! Oh dear.
You need less than you think you do. Blankets, burp rags, a place for the kid to sleep, diapers, and wipes about covers it, especially if you are breastfeeding. If you are breastfeeding, some lanolin stuff for sore nipples and some nursing bras or tank tops are great. We also used the boucy seat a lot and we had one of those bears that mimics the mother's heartbeat that we put in her crib to help her sleep and it seemed to work.
Post a Comment