Wednesday, August 12, 2009

We used the potty!!

I realize that not everyone will be as excited about this as me, or really even want to hear about it, but too bad! D'Laney used the potty!!!!
The little potty that we have can be taken apart and part put on top of the regular commode and the rest turned upside down is a step stool. (No pun intended!) I put it on the commode this morning to see if that would generate any new interest from D'Laney, because there's nothing new and exciting about the little potty and she wanted nothing to do with it. But that worked, she wanted to climb up the steps and would pull herself up on the potty, I wasn't allowed to help her at all. Once there, however, was the same old thing, she'd sit for a minute, get down and play, climb back up there, get down to play. After a few minutes of letting her get used to it again, I said if you're not going to use the potty, we're getting out of the bathroom. She fussed at me for a couple minutes, but then her minute attention span was on something else. Well a few minutes ago, I was sitting at the computer and she came and stood in front of me and just stared at me. It was weird for her to just stand there, but then she started to squat a little bit and I knew exactly what she was doing. She hadn't had a dirty diaper today, and I figured she was having some difficulty but that things were about to happen. So I acted really excited and said Let's go sit on the potty! We got into the bathroom and took her diaper off and I tried to sit her on the potty and she screamed NO! I held her for just a sec and then sat her down again, and she tried to fight me, but things were happening! I was right, she was a little constipated and had to really work at it, but she did it! She pooped in the potty!!! I went nuts and I think I scared her a little, but when she realized I was happy, she got a little excited, too. She got to use her very own toilet paper and wash her hands with her very own soap (yay, Kandoo!) She loved flushing the toilet herself, but her favorite part was getting the M&Ms. We called Daddy, who was still working, and tried calling both of her grandmothers, but neither answered. She did get to tell her Aunt Cadye, and she loves talking to Cadye on the phone, so she was excited about that. I'm excited about the fact that afterwards, I put some panties on her and she hasn't had an accident yet and it's been over 30 minutes!! About every 2 minutes I check and say, tell me when you need to teetee and we'll go sit on the potty again. At first she thought I was saying DeeDee, which is my mom, and she thought DeeDee was here, which is sweet but sad. So we'll see how much progress we make now. I've thought all along that if she just goes once or twice, she'll get it and that'll be that. I hope today wasn't a fluke, and that she understood what was going on, not just that I was holding her down on the potty. Regardless, she did it, and I'm so proud of her!

4 comments:

Linz said...

Yay! That is exciting! I'm hoping it goes smoothly when the time comes for H.

Shaunna said...

Yay D'Laney!! :]

Mr. and Mrs. Bryan Neal said...

Yeah D'Laney!! Way to go!! How it exciting!!

Kristin said...

Yay!!! How exciting!! Emma Kate has gone once, but she doesn't really seem all that interested in it. I'm interested to hear how today has gone!