Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Messmaker, Messmaker, Make Me a Mess...

I'm trying to become a better housekeeper. It's truly the thing that I struggle with the most. Sounds silly, right? If they house is messy, just pick it up. But there's coloring to be done, and tickling, and kissing and hugging, and phone calls to make, and new recipes to look for, and birthday parties to plan, and....
What's weird is that I'm totally OCD about a lot of things house related. My pantry has to be completely orderly and organized, with cans stacked and lined up perfectly, everything sorted and shelved and just so. I have to wash dishes in a certain order. If I'm washing sippy cups and Cameron walks by and throws a spoon into the dishwater, I almost have a panic attack. Organization magazines and websites are like crack to me, I can't get enough. I would love to have a bin and cubby for everything, but I don't, and I can't just blame it on the fact that that kind of thing can get really expensive. I've always been a walking contradiction.
We all struggle with embarrassing things, I guess, and that's mine. My husband, half lovingly, once said that I was a great wife, but a terrible roommate. But anyway, I'm always trying to do better, and have decided it's just habit. So I'm trying to form new habits, they only take 28 days, right? I keep referring to my Coke habit, I used to drink a six pack a day, and now one sip makes me sick to my stomach, so if I can kick Coke, I can do anything!
So, along with just trying to keep things better picked up during the day, we've created a new nightly routine. D'Laney always goes to bed at 9, so now at 8:30, we turn off all TVs and pick up the playroom, living room, and her room. Right now she's at an age where she loves to help clean, so I'm hoping to make all this habit for later when she's not such a fan. After everything is picked up, then we do the normal PJs, teeth, and bed dance. If Brynna isn't already in bed, I put her down, too, whether she's acting tired or not. I've never been one to push a schedule at her age, but she's getting old enough now to follow one, even if it is way loose.
After the girls are in bed, I make sure the kitchen is done, sweep, swiffer, vacuum, and for the last few nights, gone straight to bed. So far, so good, but it's only been a few nights.
Why am I telling you all this? I'm not really sure. I hate to have anyone think less of me, and believe me, from the outside, that's exactly what I think. I guess maybe if I put in out there, share my dirty (hehe) little secret, I'll be more accountable for it? I'm not sure, but I have to be better about this stuff. If other people did their job the way I do mine, they'd be fired. It's really as simple as that. And hey, cleaning more will burn more calories, right? Maybe this will help me get in shape faster, cause I've been dropping the ball there, too. Surprise, surprise!

2 comments:

Delectable Flair said...

How funny! My hubby tells me I am a great wife but a terrible roommate too! And I am totally OCD about almost everything; type AAAAAA OCD! The key is "almost everything"...LOL! My manager and co-workers even makes fun of me.

Linz said...

I feel like my house is going to be dirty no matter what I do to avoid it. I am pretty OCD about the laundry and the bathrooms, but on any given day my house looks like a tornado just went through it.

I'm working on it though and finding ways for Hayden to help.