Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's weekend and an anniversary.

Our valentine's weekend was pretty uneventful. Cameron got back from NM Thursday, and only worked half a day on friday. We met his mom in Midland that afternoon and did a little shopping, well, big shopping, we got a new washing machine. Ours isn't just on its last leg, it's down to about 2 toes. Hopefully we'll get the dryer to match in a few weeks, but it's not a necessity, ours still works really well. Saturday we had a big breakfast and piddled around the house all day, and for supper, Cameron banished me from the kitchen and cooked me steak and mashed potatoes and a fudge cake thing that was terrible. To be fair, he didn't cook it himself, it was frozen from a box. We didn't do any presents this year, which really isn't any different from any other year, but this year we did it on purpose. Valentine's day, Cameron's birthday (this friday,) our anniversary (march 12,) and my birthday (march 17) all run really close together, so we decided this year we would skip presents for all 4 and buy what we actually need, i.e. the washing machine and the garage. So that was our valentine's, short and sweet and just the three of us, which is perfect. Cameron left this afternoon to back to NM for a few days, but he should be home by thursday or friday. At least I hope he is, we've got a very busy weekend coming up, plus I just hate for him to be out of town on his birthday.
As for the anniversary... On this day, 5 years ago, I met that lovely man. I can't believe it was half a decade ago. For those of you who don't know, here's how the luckiest day of Cameron's life played out;)
Cameron moved to San Angelo in the summer of '03 and started going to church at Southgate Church of Christ, where I grew up. I noticed him right away and was pretty impressed. Here was an apparently single guy, getting himself up and actually going to church without a mother or wife dragging him. Of course I noticed that he was mighty gorgeous in his wranglers, too. I also noticed, less enthusiastically, that he had grey hair and guessed he was much older than I was (19 at the time) I guessed he was around 25. Wrong! I finally got up the courage to ask Steve Sherrod, whom he usually sat by, about him and Steve told me his name, what he did, and that he was 28 years old. Way, WAY, older than me, so when Steve wanted to introduce us, I said no thanks. Several months passed and one fateful Sunday evening, my mother, sister and I happened to sit one pew behind him at the opposite end. I caught him looking at me a couple times during the service. Afterwards, I was talking to some folks when I felt a tap on my shoulder. There stood Steve and a pair of blue eyes staring at me. Steve introduced the two of us and then just walked away and left us standing there. I literally could not breathe. I am not kidding, I thought I was having an asthma attack, and I don't even have asthma! We chatted for a few minutes and he asked if I would like to go eat with him that night. I agreed, with out knowing that it would be the two of us, Cameron's sister-in-law and her kids, her sister and kids, and a family from church that they had grown up with, about 15 people total. Cameron and I might have gotten 10 words in to each other all through supper. Afterwards, we sat in the church parking lot next to my car for couple hours visiting, he got my number, and we went out the next night, and the next night, and pretty much every night since then. I knew about 2 hours into that first date that I could marry this man, and about 2 weeks in that I would marry him. 10 months later we were engaged, and about 9 weeks after that, Steve Sherrod married us in a beautiful wedding, if I do say so myself. I thank God every day that He brought Cameron into my life and allowed me to make a life with him. He is a terrific husband, an amazing father, and honestly, all cliche's aside, my absolute best friend. I miss him already:(
PS: Someday I'll have Cameron get on here and give his side of the story. We haven't really talked about it much, but his details are a little different. I always think it's funny to hear both sides of when couples meet, there always so different!

5 comments:

Crystal said...

What a sweet story! Happy Anniversary, Birthday, and Valentines.

Unknown said...

Aww..thanks for sharing Amy!

Linz said...

Such a sweet story! Our story is quite entertaining.

A Teacher and Her Cowboy said...

i like the picture on the top of the page.your story is so cute. there is one thing that i always think about with you two.
used to when my family went to camp every year my sister and i packed every single wall shirt we had, to wear that entire week. as usual we did the same the year that yall started dating. i went to put away my dishes after supper or lunch one day and he asked me if i went to school at wall. i told him yes and he told me that the girl he was dating was from wall and of course i had to ask him who it was. the way he explained it since he knew i was in cadye's grade...he told me cadye's sister. the next year i remember cadye missing a track meet to be in your wedding.

Mr. and Mrs. Bryan Neal said...

Great story!! Way to get all the details down ...