OK, today was really weird.
To start with, the economy sucks, it just does. We already felt the crunch once when Cameron got laid off, and although he now has a good job, they are slow and he's not getting the hours he will when they pick back up, which I'm sure they will. Until then, however, I've been trying to figure out how we can save money on a day to day basis. I've started the menu planning because that'll help, and I've started looking at what both Cameron and I spend daily and coming up with ways to save. When you just glance at our finances, we don't spend much. We have no credit card debt, both of our college bills are paid off, and we don't live extravagantly. I have pretty much the same wardrobe I've had for years, we don't have a boat or 4 wheelers or any "toys" and we don't travel much, just home to see our folks. So where does all our money go?! Well, here and there really add up, so I'm really working hard to fix that.
I was thinking just this morning that I need to treat what I do daily as a job. It's my job to keep the house clean, the kid fed, and save money. It's as simple as that. And honestly, I'm not very good at my job, but I'm getting better. So what was weird about today was after I put D'Laney down for a nap, I sat down to catch the last half of Oprah, and guess what today's topic was? Saving money. A lot of what they were saying we already do, but then the "Coupon Mom" came on. Have y'all seen this lady? She has coupons for everything. They sent her on a shopping experiment, and she got a $120 grocery bill, buying mostly sale items, down under $40!! She said that over the 15 years that she has been doing this, she has saved over $72,000... I was pretty impressed. However, I hate coupons. If my mom ever had one when we were little, I'd get so embarrassed. I'm not sure why, but I really hated it. It would hold up the line and people behind us would roll their eyes like, oh, she has coupons. But I think this lady has converted me. She has a website, www.couponmom.com, where you can register for free and they send you coupons and teach you how to do what it is that she does. I'm going to try it. It lends perfectly with the menu planning because I can sit with the sunday paper, see what's going to be for sale and what I'll have coupons for, and plan my meals accordingly. I'm actually pretty excited about it, we'll see how well it works. I've already printed some off the site and will use them when I go shopping tomorrow!
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
Saving money
at 5:05 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Welcome to my world! However, I am actually proud of my coupons. I started using them the day Maddie was born. At first it was for diapers and wipies, but now its spread to pretty much anything I can get my hands on that I have a coupon for. I even have a coupon holder, which Lacy makes fun of me for. HEHE
I just finished watching the Oprah episode and I had exactly the same feelings as you! I got on the internet and started surfing for coupons...I've never used them before, I always thought I didn't need them or something. But that lady impressed me! I'm glad you put her website on. I joined a menu planning deal called e-mealz (www.e-mealz.com) that plans my meals and makes my grocery list based on what's on sale. You should check it out. We are going to start writing down our expenses every day and seeing what we can cut out, also.
Have you read Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover? We follow his plan to a t and love it.
I highly recommend it :)
Post a Comment