Well, I know I am, but never for this reason:
I am seriously thinking about cloth diapering!
Crazy, right? I never never ever thought I would even consider this. I'll elaborate on what got me on this crazy train of thought.
If and when our house ever sales (and it really really needs to, seriously, guys, we really need your prayers on this) we will almost definitely be moving back to Iraan and out onto a ranch. While we were down there this weekend, we went out to the house to take a look at it, as I had never been inside. It's about half the size of our house now, but almost exactly the size of our house at Miles, with a much better layout. I was very pleasantly surprised. It is however, in the middle of nowhere. While I love this fact, it is going to take some getting used to. I've always lived in itty bitty towns, or not even in a town, but I've never lived more than 30 minutes from a bigger place (aka: a walmart!) and so I'm going to have to learn how to really plan shopping trips and buy in bulk (and organize and store said bulk!) I'm already practicing menu planning and buying groceries accordingly, but if you run out of something... toilet paper, soap, diapers... there's no running to the store to get it. There is a grocery store and a dollar store in Iraan, but because they're the only thing around, they're ridiculously high, if they even have what you need. We're seeing it now, but we'll really see it then: we're going to have to learn to live on not much money. In actuality, we'll probably be netting the same income, but we have got to rebuild our nest egg, the last year of a down economy has really taken it's toll on us.
So all this got me thinking about ways we'll be able to save money, and there are so many things we're already putting into effect. The biggest expense will obviously be the girls, although having another girl instead of a boy will save us so much right off the bat. Breastfeeding will, too, Lord willing it's as easy as it was last time. So the only real expense for the new baby will be diapers. And that's what brought me to cloth. I know that it's probably more expensive to get started on cloth, but from what I'm reading so far, you make up for it in just 2 or 3 months. Here's what I'm thinking so far:
- the cost will be less. That's my #1 reason.
- I'm not a huge "green" person, I do what I can when I can, but I'm usually not too concerned about it. Using cloth is better for the environment, though.
- We'll be out at the ranch, so we'll be burning our trash. Diapers don't burn. So we'd have to bag them up and take them to a dumpster in town, which will be a huge hassle.
- We'd be on well water, so I'm not concerned about the extra water usage with all the extra washing.
- I'll be staying home and the only frequent traveling I would be doing would be to church, so I'm not as worried about having to deal with a lot of dirty diapers in public.
- However, cloth has come a long way and is so popular right now, and there are so many accessories to make it easy and stinky-free. Even things to make out of town trips fairly hassle-free.
So that's what I'm thinking. What do y'all think? Do you know anyone who has used cloth? Pros vs. cons? I've got some time to figure it all out, but you know me, I like to have things planned and figured out WAY in advance. I'm also thinking about putting the girls in the same room. That little house has three bedrooms, but if the girls share a bedroom, we can use the third room as a play room to put all the toys D'Laney doesn't play with and as storage, which we'll definitely need.
In other news, potty training has been put on hold because of our paci crisis we're in the middle of. Apparently, the trauma of not having her trusty paci has caused D'Laney to develop some sort of separation anxiety, but only when it's time to go to sleep. She will not nap during the day, it's an hours long, screaming fight. And at night, she was doing pretty well, but has had 2 or 3 nights over the last two weeks that were just horrible, last night being the latest. She will be so sleepy she can't walk straight, but won't lay down. Unless, of course, I'm right beside her. She even took her pillow out of her bed and put it on the floor so I could actually lay down beside her last night. Once she's what I think is dead asleep, I'll put her back in her bed, go to leave, and she'll wake up and scream and cry like I cut her arm off and was taking it with me. So I thought, I'll just let her sleep on the floor. We both lay back down, she goes back to sleep, and I get up to leave, and here we go again, blood curdling screams. I got maybe 4 hours of sleep last night, and of course she hasn't napped yet today so that I could catch up a little. The only reason I don't just let her scream for hours is because Cameron has to get up and leave at 5, and when she's up screaming, we're all up, and he needs his sleep. She has also learned to climb over the gate in her door. Cameron had the idea to put it a few inches higher, not to where she could crawl underneath, but so that she couldn't climb it. I thought it was a great idea, until she came crying into our room at 3 this morning. Did I mention that? 3 am has been her consistent wake up hour. I do not understand this, she has never been any sort of attached to me. I have been so tempted to give in and give her back her paci, but I DO NOT want to lose at this. I'm way more stubborn than she is!

6 comments:
I think cloth is a great idea! I am definitely considering it for the next time around. I would have to do a combination of cloth and disposable for daycare. You'll have to let me know how you like it.
I was thinking about cloth (we are due on the same day). I hear bumgenius is good.
Brittney (Hartsfield) Ellis (from Phi Lamb) is using cloth diapers with her little girl, Sophia. I bet she could give you the scoop on what works best!! I DON'T think you're crazy, but I DO think you're a lot braver than me!! :]
To be honest...it has actually crossed my mind a time or too....but then I snapped back into it!!! :) But I totally see your point if y'all are going to be living in Iraan!! I say give it a try!!
I am actually using cloth with Remi. It is pretty expensive to start up, but there are lots of different options to choose from. Everyone thinks I'm crazy, but the money you save just amazes me! I'll let you know how it goes :)
Don't give up! She'll give in sometime! :)
Post a Comment