We're still getting used to the fact that we'll have two little girls running around here soon. The name search is not going very well, though. At least we have a little bit of time. When I asked for "B" suggestions, I forgot to elaborate why.
On the Cauley side of my family, almost everyone's initials are LLC, starting with my granddad and working it's way down. Seriously, we've got Leo Lawrence, Levi Lawrence, Larry Lynn (my dad), Lori Lavonne, Lois Lynnette, Laci L'Rae, Leddy Lavonne, Lucas Leo, Laura Leigh, and Landon, but his middle name is Garrett. See? Lots and lots of L's, and I love it, but since my parents decided to skip me (still not sure why) I decided when I was in, like high school, that I'd do something similar, have the first and middle initial be the same, but not necessarily L's. Unless, of course, my husband's family had their own naming tradition, which I think would take precedence over mine. Cameron's family doesn't, however, so we were able to do my take on the family tradition. I also like naming your kids after family members. When we first met, Cameron was telling me about his grandparents that had passed away, and said that his paternal grandmother's maiden name was Rustin. I loved that name, even if it wasn't a family name. Cameron's dad's name is Ridgely, which I think is so cool and unique, so we'd known each other a few weeks when we had our first son named... Rustin Ridgely Holifield, both names coming from Cameron's dad but with my family's naming tradition. Cute, isn't it? Oh well! When we found out that our firstborn was a girl, we decided to take our two middle names, D'Lynn and Dale, change mine up a little, and that's how we got D'Laney Dale. Now that we're having another girl, we're stuck. Cameron's mother's name is Barbara Belle. I had a great-grandmother named Mary Belle. So I'd love to use Belle as the middle name, and it also sort of rhymes with Dale. And of course I want a "B" name to go with it. Cameron doesn't see the need to keep up the double initial thing, but it's important to me, so I'm going to keep fighting for it.
Here's what I've come up with so far:
Brylee Belle Holifield... My sister went to school with a boy named Briley, and I've always loved the name. I'd also like whatever name we chose to end in a "Y" sound because that's how mine, my sister's, and my daughter's all end... Amy, Cadye, D'Laney, and so on... I got this spelling from my mother's middle name, Lee, which is also the middle name of about half of Cameron's family.
Baylee Belle... another name I've always liked, though not as much, and spelled with Lee
Brynna Belle... this is actually probably my favorite choice, but it doesn't have the Lee in it. It does have part of the rest of my middle name, Lynn. So D'Laney would have half, and Brynna would have half. Our first thought, to get the Lynn in her name, was Brooklynn, but I think we've moved on from that.
Bralynn Belle...there is a wide receiver in the NFL named Braylon Edwards, pronounced just like Waylon (as in Jennings, huge plus:) and I like that name for a boy, but we have no need for a "B" boy's name. So I just changed the spelling a little bit and got the Lynn in there. With this name, however, I'm afraid people would put the emphasis on the second syllable, which I don't like.
That's all I have so far. Cameron doesn't like any of them, but he doesn't have any suggestions of his own. He did pick up the baby name book last night and started looking through it, but D'Laney stole it before he got past Bethany, which I don't really care for. But I didn't like D'Laney at first either, and now there's not another single name that would fit that child. Not having a name for this little girl consumes most of my thoughts during the day. It drives me crazy that I can't call her by name. What little thoughts I have left after D'Laney and the name are on the nursery, which I'm so excited about. I'm going to make both girls rooms match, and and trying to figure out how to get both rooms done for as little money as possible. Not only because we don't have as much to spend this time around, but also because it's like a game to me, and I'm so super competitive.
Friday, July 24, 2009
the name game
at 1:38 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I absolutely love Belle!! So cute!!
Don't know which first name I like best though!!
My vote is Brynna:]
Love thinking of baby names. If you spell it Braelynn the emphasis would have to be on the first syllable. Problem solved. But I also think Bransynn is way cute. D'Laney Dale and Bransynn Belle sounds very sweet together!!!
Braylon was one of the names I mentioned in a previous comment and Will has mentioned it to me for a boy (as in Braylon Edwards) but I thought it was too girly. I love the way you spelled it, and also think Braelynn would help with pronunciation. Baylor Belle? Might sound like a mascot though. Your mind works similar to mine with naming! Can't wait to see what you decide!!
Well, I just love your oldest girl's name... D'Laney... since I have my own Lainey after all! Still my favorite girl name of all time!
Naming the 2nd girl is so much fun too... I know you'll come up with the perfect fit!
I like Brylee Belle the best!! THat's my favorite!!
My only rule for our child's name is that the middle name is named after someone!
Post a Comment