Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Trips to the doctor

These trips to Angelo are getting old. I love being in Angelo and seeing family, but I'm beginning to hate the drives. Well, I should say that D'Laney is beginning to hate the drives. Two hours strapped down in a seat is hard for a little one who has a hard time sitting still by herself for more than 5 minutes at a time. I forgot her little portable DVD player this trip, and it was a long, screaming fit filled drive home last night. She got a shot yesterday, so she might not have been feeling all that well, so what better night to take away her pacifier? What were we thinking?! Actually, it was the best situation, because we had forgotten to take any to Angelo over the weekend, so she had already gone 3 days without one. She screamed for a little while last night, but some rocking put her to sleep. I just laid her down for a nap, though, and you'd of thought I had done it in a room full of rabid dogs, she's screaming her head off! "Momma, paci? Momma!! Paci!!"
I had my own worst mother ever moment last week when I realized that I hadn't gotten D'Laney her 18 month immunization. That month, her well baby was a couple weeks before the required 6 month span between Hep A shots was up, so I was going to have to wait to get her shot. And then completely forgot about it. It was just one little shot, but it totally slipped my mind. I found her shot record last week and realized the mistake, so I called her doc's office and scheduled her a check up for monday so she could get that one little shot. I also wanted to talk to him about her eating habits. As in, the habit of not eating, ever. I know a lot of toddlers are like that, just too busy to eat, so I shouldn't be worried about it, but since she's always been way small for her age, I just wanted to make sure she was gaining like she should. Well, I had absolutely nothing to worry about. She weighed 23.4 lbs, which moves her up to the 15-20%, and is 34" tall, which moves her up to the 40%! At 12 months, she was in the 5% for both, and at 18 months, she was barely in the 10%, so she has really grown! Apparently she's getting plenty to eat. I knew better than to worry. Her shot went really well, too. I held her face away (and my own) and when the nurse stuck her, all she said was "Ouch!" And it wasn't even a very painful ouch, more dramatic than anything, and she didn't' shed a single tear (and I didn't either, it only took 2 years!) We also let the office know about the new baby and got registered. I got a little worried for a second because Dr. Patyrak told me that his daughter is due with his first grandchild in December as well, and he would understandably be there for the birth and would have to miss mine, but he expects his grandbaby between christmas and new years, and we'll deliver long before that, so I'm not worried, he'll be there.
My appointment went really well, too. I've only gained 2 lbs, but that's normal, I think. Everything was so messed up with D'Laney that I'm not sure what normal weight gain should be, but she didn't say anything about it, so I'm assuming it's fine. The baby is big and healthy and only measuring a couple days bigger than the gestational age, so my due date will remain the 23rd of Dec. When we have the 4D sono at 7 months, they'll be able to tell if the baby is really big and if we'll deliver more than a week early. As of right now, we're looking at around the 14th-16th for D-day. That will give me a couple weeks to recover before christmas. I don't think Christmas will be that bad, though. The toughest part will just be the driving, and if we can time the feedings right, those shouldn't be too bad. Cameron had to work yesterday and my mom had some sort of virus with fever all last week and has been keeping her distance, so my sister took off a morning of work and went with me to help wrangle D'Laney. She's starting radiology school in January, so she really enjoyed the sonogram. I think D'Laney did too, she kept saying "I see!" but we were constantly asking, "Do you see the baby? Do you see your......SISTER?!"
It's a girl! I would like to say that I was totally shocked, but I wasn't. I knew, I just didn't want to admit it. I won't say that I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't as much as I expected to be. The little girl we already have is so sweet and funny and precious, why mess with a good thing?
So now we get to figure out a name and I can start planning a nursery. I'm excited that I can make the baby's room and D'Laney's room match. That'll be fun and easy. The name game, though, is not going to be as easy, I'm afraid. Although, when I told Cameron my official suggestion last night, he just sighed and said "No apostrophes anywhere, right?" Maybe he's coming around. He certainly didn't have to come around to the idea of having another girl. He is so excited, though he won't admit it. He's excited that she's healthy and growing, but he still maintains that he doesn't care what the gender is. I can see right through him, though. Last night his dad called for something, and when they hung up, I asked him why he didn't tell him about the girl, and he said that he had already called him. I asked who all he had called, and he said, oh, just Mom and Dad and Jason and Amy (his brother and sister.) Well, and Seth and Shane, David, Pete.... He listed off like 10 or 15 people! And when D'Laney was going to bed last night she was giving him a big hug, and he said, I love my girls, all three of them! He can say what he wants, that daddy is excited about another little girl! And I am, too. I might always long for a little boy (still don't want to think about whether or not I'm going to push for a third child) but it'll be fun to have two little girls running around, and they'll be just over two years apart, so hopefully they'll be very close.
PS: D'Laney screamed for 30 minutes solid, so I just got her out and let her lay down on the couch to watch Wella (Cinderella) I'm so weak! But no paci!

8 comments:

The Burks Bunch said...

Congratulations on the girl!!! So exciting! You guys (and girls) take care! Much love from Tennessee! Cameron

Unknown said...

Aww, yay! Another girl! Congrats!

Amy said...

I'm so excited for y'all!! I can't wait to hold that precious little thing.

The Holik's said...

They will be best friends!!! I am so excited for y'all!!

I wonder who will have the first boy out of us highschool girls??? marlayna, susan????

A Teacher and Her Cowboy said...

when my mom got remarried to my dad they wanted another child, since they already had me,my dad wanted another one. well he really wanted another girl and thats what he got. so he does love his three girls. he has a red head, a blonde, and a brunette so he says he has the perfect set. she will be just as cute as your last one and i cant wait to see her.

Katy said...

Congrats on another little doll!!!

Lauri Anne said...

Congrats on the girl!

Mr. and Mrs. Bryan Neal said...

NINE GIRLS!!! So I am either going to put us in double digits ... or break the tradition!! We will find out soon!!