Thursday, October 22, 2009

name origins

I am TOTALLY avoiding a disaster of a kitchen right now and what seems like a years' worth of laundry!

On one of my baby websites there was an article about choosing your kiddo's name and what your naming style is, blah blah blah... I learned that I have a classic style where I place importance on family names and traditions, like I needed them to tell me that. I do choose some pretty crazy spellings, but those spellings are based on family names, too. (well, my name!) I was curious about the origins of our names, though. I've known mine since I was little, but I wanted to see what the rest of ours meant.

Cameron Dale: of Scottish origin, and means "crooked nose", and of old English origin and means "one who lives in the valley"
Amy D'Lynn: french (yuck!) and means "beloved" (of course!), and of course I couldn't find anything for my middle name because it is a contraction of my parents' names, Dana and Lynn
D'Laney Dale: Irish, means "dark challenger" (the challenger part is so appropriate!), and of course English "valley"
Brynna Belle: Irish, and had two meanings "little drop of water" and "raven-haired" (and our spelling was actually listed!), and French (yuck!) and means "beautiful"
Holifield: I couldn't find a meaning, but the origin is old English

See the trend? We're definitely Irish in this house! Which we really are, both Cameron and I have a ton of Irish blood (that and Indian, I'm Cherokee and Cameron is Apache, how's that for a temper combination!) Both of our girls' names are very traditional Irish names, which wasn't planned but I love it. Cameron is a very traditional Scotch name, which is pretty close. My name is French (I'm not a fan of the french, can you tell?) but it is one of the top 5 most popular names in Ireland these days.

OK, I've avoided my chores long enough. I just can't get motivated to do anything these days!

1 comments:

Mr. and Mrs. Bryan Neal said...

how fun!! i know we have looked up the meaning of his name ... but i just don't remember what it was!!