Monday, November 17, 2008

At my wits end...

I can't get that child to eat! All D'Laney wants to eat is cheese and bread like things, waffles, pancakes, etc. I know she needs more than grilled cheese sandwiches every meal. She was never picky when she was still eating out of jars, she'd eat anything I put in front of her. I don't know if it's because of how late we started on solids, so I'm trying to be patient with her. But she will not let me feed her anymore, she wants to do it herself. If she can't pick it up, she won't eat it. And very little of what she actually puts in her mouth stays there, she'll spit most things out. I'm sure it's just a phase and that soon she'll be hungry enough to eat what she's given, but with our little scare a few months ago, I worry that she's not getting enough nutrients. I guess I'm just going to have to admit that I've got a picky child and learn to deal with it. But I'm not going to be one that makes a meal, and then makes something special for one person. I'm not a short order cook, my kids will have to learn to eat what's for supper or do without. Wow, my lack of sleep the last few nights is really coming out! D'Laney has been a little sick, and I know that has a lot to do with why she's not eating very well the last few days, but this is nothing new.

Whew, ok, ranting over.

On a happier note, we are completely off bottles. I hate that we ever had to start on them, but it was just for 3 months, now we're exclusively on a sippy. We thought that we were off of the paci too, but D'Laney had other plans. She went a couple days without one, and was fine, but she found the ziplock with them and for the first time has developed a vicious attachment to them. Since she was born she really only ever had a paci when she was sleeping or when we were driving, but now she wants one all the time. I'm going to give her a little more time since we just took her off the bottle, but I don't think she'll miss a paci for long. We'll see.

It makes me so sad, though, that she's hitting all these big girl milestones. No bottle and no paci... next it will be a toddler bed and potty training. Which reminds me, moms of toddlers, when did y'all move to the big bed and at what age did you try potty training? I can read all the books I want, I'd rather hear from moms I know and trust.

6 comments:

The Burks Bunch said...

We have the same problem. We waited until a year before solids and all Ethan did forever was laugh and spit! Now he eats a lot of bread...that is his favorite. Bread and crackers! I still have to feed him some vegetables out of the jar only because I feel so bad about him only eating bread and crackers and cereal all of the time!!!

The Boyd Gang said...

Zoey only eats mac-n-cheese, bread, peanut butter, and more cheese. Just keep trying to feed her, she will eventually eat. Good luck!!

Unknown said...

Both of my kids were potty trained by 18 months. I can't take any credit for it, they just did it on their own. Each child is different and when they can understand what it means, then I would try. I think it was easier with a boy because they can see what they are doing. Kreek loved M & M's and I used them to help him. If he went in the potty he got to eat the M & M, but if he went in his pants he had to throw the M & M in the potty. He would cry and cry when he had to do it, but it didn't take him long to learn. Kaegen just wanted to be big like Kreek and she was easy. GOOD LUCK with it.

Unknown said...

I just realized that my post uses Tim's name. HA HA

The Jones' said...

Have you considered trying Pediasure? This will give her the extra nutrients that she is missing out on and put your mind at ease some. There are several different flavors so you might find some she would like! Good Luck!!!

Angie said...

Same problem here too!! My boys didn't (and still don't) eat well. We still have battles with them!! Maybe it will get better soon!!!