Wednesday, November 17, 2010

My poor, poor D'Laney

*Bloody pictures at the end of this post! Just letting you know!*
We had a rough day yesterday.
Around 10 yesterday morning, I heard D'Laney scream from the kitchen. I ran in there and found her sitting under the table holding her head. I figured she had stood up underneath and hit her head, which happens to all kids. When I picked her up, she held up her hand and it was covered with blood. I thought she had cut her hand somewhere, so I ran it under some water and looked for the cut, but I couldn't find anything. It dawned on me that she had been holding her head so I sat her on the counter and took a peek, and sure enough, blood was running down her hair. She wouldn't let me touch her head, but I was able to catch a glimpse of what I though was just a scratch. Although it was bleeding quite a bit, I know that head wounds bleed more than other parts of the body, so something less severe would still bleed a lot.
I wiped what she would let me with a paper town and let her calm down before I looked any further. It took some persuading, but she finally let me pull her hair back and get a good look, and it was no scratch we were dealing with. I pulled a strand back and that gash just laid open. It was about half an inch long, a quarter inch wide, and a quarter inch deep, maybe deeper.
I called our little clinic here in town and asked if they did stitches or if we needed to go to an ER in town, and they said that the doc did do them, but couldn't until 2, which was perfectly within the time frame allowed. So I called Cameron and he finished what he could at work and headed home, and I called a friend from church and asked if she could come watch Brynna so that Cameron and I could both go.
D'Laney did really, really well at the doctor. She sat on Cameron's lap and I held her hair out of the way. Of course she cried, but she sat really still.
She got three stitches, and will keep them until monday. The doc didn't have to cut any hair, which I was so glad for. Afterwards, we had to go to the drugstore to get some hydrogen peroxide, and our little drugstore has a soda shoppe counter with the best ice cream. So D'Laney got some, which I finished for her. Win all the way around! When I was five, I busted my chin open and had to get stitches, and I remember my parents letting my lay on the couch and eat ice cream afterwards. When I was around a year, I hit my head on some bricks at the babysitters, and I have a pretty puffy scar on my scalp, in the exact same spot that D'Laney will have one now.
I'm still not sure what she hit her head on. There are some screws under the table, but they're fat and blunt and don't stick out very far. I guess she could have hit the edge just right, but she must have hit it really hard for it to have done that kind of damage.
None of this has slowed D'Laney down any. She was fine about 10 minutes after it happened. And was fine about 2 minutes after the stitches were in. That kid is tough as a boot.

This first picture was just a few minutes afterwards. Totally fine!


The gaping wound:




Three little stitches, all in a row.


Poor baby, she didn't get a nap all day, and this is how we found her at 8 last night.

3 comments:

Lauri Anne said...

poor baby...glad she's ok :)

Crystal said...

You handled it so much better than I would have...I would have FrEaKEd! I'm proud of you and I'm glad that she it OK.

Donna @ The House on the Corner said...

Poor sweet baby!! My (18 year old) daughter hit the top of her head on the edge of the side mirror of my husband's truck - like you said - just right and split it open. Unfortunately she was old enough to refuse to go to the doctor or she would have ended up with stitches also. She had a nice little bald spot where the scar is now.

Thank so much for stopping by my blog - I'm following back!!